Success only flourishes in perseverance -- ceaseless, restless perseverance.
--Baron Manfred Von Richtofen

Monday, October 13, 2014

A Legitimate Author

Three things happened this weekend. (Well, a lot more happened than that, but three writing related things.)

First, I got a royalty check from my publisher! My first one, believe it or not. It was for less than $10. (I took a picture of the check, but I'm not going to post that online.)

Second, I went to a book signing, had a ton of fun, and didn't sell a single book.



Third, I got a dreadful two-star review on Amazon.

Surprisingly, these three things lifted my spirits instead of bringing me down. I guess they made me feel like an honest-to-goodness legitimate author. Weird how that works.

Anyway, book news!

Spirits Bright, a collection of four inspirational sci-fi Christmas stories is coming soon!

I will be down in Kanab, UT on the 24-25 of this month presenting at the Kanab Writers Conference. It's beautiful down there, and they have some great classes lined up. If you're anywhere nearby, check it out!


6 comments:

Thom said...

That's the spirit! To get a royalty check and a bad review means you're getting read! We writers are an odd bunch, and I find myself almost envious that you've gotten far enough to get a bad review of a published book. :-)

Terry W. Ervin II said...

The life/experiences of an author consist of both up and down moments. Getting too down about one or too excited about the other will cause frustration in the end.

Hang in there and keep pressing forward :)

Angie said...

Thanks, guys. This writing life is so weird sometimes!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Holy cow. Your publisher is sure slow. That's crazy. My publisher went out of business four months after the release of A CHANGE OF PLANS and I still got my royalty check quicker than you. That's nuts.

I'm glad you're feeling better because you're totally a legit author, girl. I love your stories.

Angie said...

Thanks, Donna. :) In my publisher's defense, they didn't actually owe me any until now. (I charged a lot of copies of the book against royalties. But they are slow.)

T. M. Hunter said...

Certainly glad to hear you're taking the high road on all of this. That's likely the best way to do so, even if I haven't been able to do it myself. :-)